I finally understand the fascination with the biggest US city of New York, New York. I am not a city girl by any form or fashion, so for me to say I wanted to visit this city was a bit surprising to my husband. I was just so interested to see why everyone was always talking about it as a travel destination.... I would think some place like the Bahamas or hawaii might top someone's list of travel destinations... not nyc!
What a city of wonder, history, culture, activity!.... I could go on forever trying to describe what it is, what it encompasses. I was ill conceived with the idea that NYC was a place of self centered, egocentric, money mongering people.....in a criminal and litter ridden city. (phew it's a mouthful I know....) Of course any place you go can have these types of people... I just did not expect to find anything but..... I was taken a back by the beauty of the city and yes it was clean! The immense amount of buildings piled and crammed into 305 sq. miles! The diversity of building types, cuisine, people from one district to the next - the amazing history of this city. The people were actual people! They had GREAT New York accents and a MULTITUDE of languages to express themselves. They even smiled and said "excuse me" when brushing up against someone in the crowed streets and subways. I was even awe inspired when one morning walking to coffee shop, I saw a man (and his son) helping an elderly woman down the street. Taking time from his busy New York life, to help this sweet little old woman (probably in her 90's) walk to the store. Seriously in my little mommy-centric lifestyle - I don't know that I have taken the time to help someone down the street.
Growing up on the opposite side of the US - and spending relatively little time on the east coast. History has a different meaning to me. I was only taught about mayan civilizations, native americans and mission settlements up the coast of california... yes of course I heard of boston tea parties and important land settlement but never actually being there to put a first hand experience with this time frame - I kinda just glossed over it all - simply memorizing dates and names to pass the mid term... only to forget them a few weeks later while trying to learn how to boogie board at the beach....
We did pick the most spectacular time of year to go and visit... The beginning of the Christmas Season. The lights, the window displays, broadway, time square, rockefeller center, wall street, central park...... the decorations throughout the WHOLE city. The excitement of downright CHILLY weather (even a "clipper" snow storm). The next few days I plan to post my favorite pictures (out of 800+ that I took.....) but for this post I only wanted to tell you of my experience of this amazing travel destination. It's not a lazy, tan making, beach going experience but a cultural discovery of urban ambiguity that should be seriously considered as travel destination, if you have never ventured to do so.
Come back tomorrow for some window shopping pictures at saks, macys, lord & taylor and bloomingdales...
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
New York, New York
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



OOOOOOOOOOO shop for me, take pics for me!!!!!! I'm so jealous!
ReplyDeleteAnna,
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you. Reading your blog made me feel proud to be from New York. New York has so much to see and you did pick a great time of year to go. NYC is always perceived negatively but it truly is beautiful. I'm glad you had a great time and enjoyed yourself. You deserved it.
Sharon
I haven't been to NY in December, but I bet it WAS amazing! So glad you had such a GREAT time! The one thing I would love to see, in person, one day is the tree at Rockfeller Center. It always looks so beautiful in movies!
ReplyDeleteGlad you loved it. It's good for Californians to leave their state sometimes...not for long, of course.
ReplyDeleteOnly you and I ...and Amanda... really appreciate that comment.
And WHERE IS Amanda?
Forgot to tell you....it SNOWED here in Houston last night. Kingwood had 3-4 inches...started in the afternoon. It's still on the ground now after 9:30 a.m.!!!
ReplyDelete