Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My 100th Post and experience at CKU

Guys and Gals -
So this is it..... the big 100th post.... if you leave a comment between now and saturday...... (i'll draw a winner on Sunday) I will make you something special... I must say it's feminine so if you are a guy you can give it to your mom or girlfriend or wife or friend..... so LEAVE a comment :)

So my big moment... meeting ALI the genius of graphic design and all things amazing in my scrapping world.

what i like about this picture is the smile on my face..... I'm sooo excited :) She's way cooler than she seems, she's super mellow and very modest. She's the ultimate artist in the fact that she want's you as a scrapper to tell your story and tell it the way it makes feel good. So it doesn't have to be perfect or "her" way or anyone's way but your own. She allows people to be creative and be proud of it.

Here's another pic with her

this was the next day - one of those pictures where I hold the camera and everyone smiles pics..... Go check out my friend Lawren's blog to she some of her photos, too..... Oh yah I met....

margie

and

lisa

and a man artist....too!

tim

The whole reason I went to CKU was to learn new techniques and to take a class taught by ALI (of course).

EVOLUTION - here's a pic of the cover of the album I made - I plan to post an entry on the entire album soon.... It's really awesome!!
I did learn alot and I made some new friends (lawren - christine - cheri and sarah). I got to play with paint, glue, inks, tons of new tools and paper!!! (duh?) One thing - I really wanted to take away from it all was the bigger picture.... sometimes I create books without a plan. I really want to take things to next level and plan it out - pick my product - organize my pics - my thoughts and really think about what kind of techniques I want to use in the book. I think I'm a little better equipped to do that now. One of the things that surprised me was my new interest in an D-SLR. I was truly amazed at what a better quality picture you can take with an SLR. I've got the bug of one of those FOR SURE!! (sorry, honey.....)

I would say the best thing about my experience was meeting the everyday crazy addicted scrappers like myself. I must say I did make a great new friend in Lawren - she's way awesome! Very talented and I'm honored I got to know her when..... (i.e. before they were stars) :)

Folks keep asking me if I would go again..... the answer is yes and no..... but probably no. I really think I would like to try something a little more intimate (less people) and one where you are a little freer to create as you wish, just go with the flow and see where your creative juices take you.
Since I have been back I have been getting ready for my book club (tonite - made a mini book). I also have made a few layouts for the design team at my local scrapper store.... (more on that later).

Well, that about sums it up- don't forget to comment if you wanna try and win and "anna creation".....

9 comments:

  1. Hey Anna: Loved your write up about CKU and I would agree that no I wouldn't go to another CKU -- I loved both that I attended (Orlando '07 and Houston '08) and wouldn't trade those experiences or the friends I made (like YOU!) for the world. However, "put pink polka dot paper on left hand corner of brown paper" isn't really my idea of creating. I'd love to go to something that had less structure and more expressing my own creativity...maybe Inspire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna,

    I'm soooo excited for you. I know you really wanted to meet Ali and now you can cross that off the bucket list. :) Not that your leaving us anytime soon just a saying.
    I know you have some mixed feelings about CKU but I still would like for us to try Anaheim if we can. Talk to you soon.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey....CKU helped get ya back to Houston for a few days... can't complain! And Ali was there and you were in her class!!! Just so everyone knows... I held the Evolution book in my hands and thumbed through it. yum! Everyone should go to Silver Bella with me in November... see my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Anna!!! I love seeing your smiling face in the pictures! Thank you so much for the beautiful card. I just treasure it! It came on a day I really needed to get something WoW in the mail! God must have knew. I have loved getting to know you through our blogging! Blessings Friend! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anna! Great to meet you, even if it was so briefly! Loved the whole Ali class and album too though I haven't finished mine yet - I have a similar grinning picture of me with her too!! lol!! Sounds like you really did have a full fun packed week with CKU and NOLA too!!
    Helen.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah your page just improves with age, like wine and cheese. I love you and can't wait to see you soon.

    Your Bro

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anna,
    Your blog entry about CKU left a huge smile on my face. I loved meeting you. You have an awesome sense of style. I love your comment about moving scrapbooking to the next level of planning and creating a cohesive story.
    I think that the album tracks were awesome at CKU as they really did inspire / take us to a new level. The rest of CKU I could live without.
    Have a GROOVY day, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may be too late for the drawing, but wanted to say congrats on steady blogging (read about it on Linda's obsessed blog- heehee).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so proud that you were able to come and explore more of your "inner-self". More importantly, I think it is so exciting that you have made more friendships. They will all hold a special place in your heart.

    AW

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!