Friday, April 24, 2009

Crafting can be green too!

What can you do to help save the world?
Be a green crafter, of course :)


here's a link to some great green craft ideas...... you seriously can make trash to treasure.....

In my green craft repertoire, my first and one of most favorite mini books is my "earth" mini...... I made it last year to honor earth week..... so It's resurfacing on my blog ..... the idea for this book was born when my mom was throwing out a few mini file card cases.... I loved the transparency of it and instantly wanted to turn one into a mini album. I had been collecting articles from magazines on recycling (mostly to educate myself on what to recycle and where to recycle - and the album just grew from there.


making this album freed me - creatively speaking at least...... I began to look at packaging differently -WOW - I can make a mini album out of anything,.... and it does not even have to have pictures in it. I shortly thereafter turned some packaging that I received some stamps in - into a ROBOT book. Then I made the paper bag albums.....then a file folder album and most recently I made a coffee filter album.....


an album from coffee filters? oh yah babey...... to quote debbie richter .... "is anything in the house safe anymore?" Sorry Miss Debbie but absolutely not!!!

Some of you, my friends, are from the CPA...... in which Cindy Ericson has conveniently hosted a cereal box journal swap - we are all making journals from boxed packaging. I just Tuesday recieved my journal.... from my friend Phyllis in WA..... she made mine from greeting box packaging and all the pages are made from material packaging that was padding glass...

I will post more photos soon (this little book is so cleverly made that it deserves it's very own post.....)

The possibilities are endless..... you just have to open your mind and let your heart do the crafting..... one of my favorite magazine companies..... Stampington..... is about to release a special issue devoted to just green crafts..... (click here to pre-order)

Then there is the matter of ETSY.... on of the coolest places on the web....... through a friend of a friend I found Cindy Leaders who makes very "useful books" - she calls her books that have been made from packaging "upcycled books" very cool! I recently purchased some very beautiful books from her and was blown away by the skill she has to make these great little treasures..... I had not idea there is a whole community of artist that upcycle....... (click me me for more info!)

Well I leave you with a few thoughts..... if you are a crafter..... think twice about throwing office materials/ or product packaging out - you can most likely turn it into an UPCYCLED treasure. Now, for us paper crafters..... think twice about throwing out your scraps...... maybe you can host a scrap swap - or you can make cards from your scraps - or at the VERY least you RECYCLE your scraps. Some other cool swaps I've seen or read about is swapping out tools and/or stamps...... how about trading with a friend - how fun is it to play with something new (to you)..... best part of it all - is you don't have to buy anything - and you can always swap back your original items so don't really have to part with it if you don't want to?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Anna! Ali Edwards shared this challenge on twitter today and I instantly thought of you because of these earth week posts that you've been doing! You should definitely enter!
    http://www.thescrapreview.com/2009/04/earth-day-challenge-give-away.html?showComment=1240688760000#c1168644569466449156

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!