wow - time has flown by... it's been one month since last bookclub and as I mentioned (a few posts ago) my contest about "Heavy Metal with an American Idol twist"..... I was scrambling on Monday evening because I had bookclub on Tuesday and I still had not completed a project..... AHHHHH! I had one night and half a day to make something for our meeting..... (what's a crafter to do?) Our bookclub kit consisted of all things metal...... brads, embellishments.... metal glue sheets, glitter..... Since it was metal - the main colors seemed to be black and silver / pewter..... I challenged myself to add COLOR!! While making this other little kit ( a family mini book - I had a bunch of scraps - they happened to fall next to my metal kit..... and I said "HEY - that almost coordinates....") All month, I was planning on making a mini book - using tons of metal....(about DMB) BUT as luck would have it...... I had printed out an inspiration piece from TIm Holtz.... he called it patchwork pandemonium.... (third picture down - if you follow the link) I mostly was drooling all over the picture...... I never intended to actually attempt it!! BUT as I said.... luck was on my side and I had just the right amount of scraps......... that coordinated with my metal.....
I started cutting up two x two squares... 4 x 2 rectangles.... - pulled out some fragments...... threw some glitter onto chipboard...... busted out the glossy accents........ covered chipboard shapes with the glue foil (black metal) ..... had some bare spots........ don't know how but this picture of my son was sitting on the table and it fit just PERFECTLY into one of my bare spots..... so I dug up the other two pics that went with it..... and ALL i had to do was glue everything down!!
HOLY "patchwork pandemonium"!! It's not quite the perfect rendition, as Tim's is all grungy and alcohol inky (and geniusy) ... But mine is heavy on the metal (as I had wanted), had the color I was looking for and some really cute pics of my kids...... voila!
I asked my DH what he thought...... (I wanted to know if he thought it was too busy?) DH said... "well... you have that whole rod iron thing going....." HUM? not quite the answer I was looking for...... so this past Tuesday night, I nervously took my patchwork attempt to bookclub..... Thinking the ladies would say...... "WOW, you have that how rod iron thing going for you......" but I think they actually liked it..... ??? I won my own contest! I really did not plan it that way... I guess I'll have to blame it on my cute kid's photos.......
C'est la Vie,
xo,
amt
Thursday, June 18, 2009
heavy metal
Posted by
Anna
at
8:13 AM
Labels: inspiration, my bookclub
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Anna, you never seise to amaze me! This is way cool! I am going to have to try this too!! :)
ReplyDeletehugs, Ashlyn
I thought this was a fabulous art piece -- you rock, Gypsy Gal!
ReplyDeleteWAY COOL DUDE!
ReplyDeleteI totally love what you did! Don't you love it when things come together? Literally? :)
ReplyDelete