Monday, June 22, 2009

camping in the giant forest

what I love about summer.....
the freedom of being able to decide at the last minute that maybe you NEED to spend sometime outdoors..... (really, really outdoors... no tv's, no computers, no cell phone service....... just lots of fresh air.....
here's what we did in the giant forest.....

packed up the jeep and hit the road.......

drove thru a tunnel log!

was awe inspired by the beauty of Nature!

found a few pine-cones almost at tall as us :)

look up ..... always look up...... I had to take this shot!
Trees are the earth's endless effort to speak to the listening heaven. RABINDRANATH TAGORE

took in the amazing view - GIANT sequoia trees, lots of granite rocks and most importantly lots of FRESH mountain air.....

a close encounter of the brown kind! (yikes)

he loves me :)

the shadow knows!

a new perspective .......

can you taste the SMORE's ??

gotta love a 6 yr olds perspective.... he found a happy tree! The boys termed it the AFLAC tree..... check out it's bill..... (they crack me up)

This tree fell... and it was hollow..... back in the 1800's it was part camp hideout part saloon! (how cool!)

view on the ride home.... it's breath taking isn't? We are so blessed to be a few hours south of Sequoia National Park.

so blessed to be a few hours from loving family..... that's where we are headed next.. up north for Nana time.....

6 comments:

  1. *sigh* loved that place. Your photos are awesome and inspiring. Did you camp in the NP? And I love your campfire pic - I've never mastered the art of getting a good one of the fire - but I really can taste the smores!! love it! And that bear...er cute?! now run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVe these!! I'm afraid I wouldn't have let anyone get out of the car again after seeing the bear. Love the AFLACK tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all are so adventerous!! Looks so beautiful!! I love your pics!!

    Hugs, Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Picture perfect! Where's Yogi? Oh, wait that's Jellystone Park. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures rock! They are gorgeous. I love Sequoia. I put this poem in my Sequoia album: "Advice From a Tree" by Ilan Shamir --> check it out: http://treelink.org/woodnotes/vol1/no1/advice.htm
    I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos!!! How close were you to that bear? Happy Birthday Beautiful girl ~ you are still such a youngin ~ enjoy yourself!!! XXOO Blessings,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!