Sunday, April 11, 2010

Zion Nat'l Park

For spring break, in a whole hearted attempt to tire out those non-stop energy filled boys of ours.... we packed up the jeep and headed to the Great State of Utah.... where the red rocks astound you with beauty. The mountains leave you breathless (maybe that's because of the altitude difference?). The rivers carve out canyons and gorges that are simply spectacular.

It's a state where there is no shortage of beautiful topography and can make you feel like you can be a cowboy or cowgirl regardless of your ability to speak the talk. A state where we entered a family of four but at times I was not sure we would return as one(yikes). The rock star (geologist hubby) feel in love and I had to drag him at times away from the rocks.... then there were hikes that we attempted in snow and ice, which made me fear my sweet boys would go home motherless....but it was worth it.... to this day I experienced THE most beautiful hike of my life ( in Bryce canyon).

Day one: We drove 12 hours the first day to find a town with no vacancies! OPPS! When we scooped up the last smoking room in town, feebly attempted to calm down two car-cooped up boys, and passed out around midnight. We woke up to a full buffet breakfast, in the hotel, in which a Quilting convention was underway (cool!). Maybe my Dear Husband (dh) feared he'd lose me to the fabric frenzy but he never lead me to believe it. :)

Day two: We made a bee line to our first park by 8:30 am (mountain time!)... We drove to the first hike and had our first experiences with the "pit toilets" then made another bee line to some FRESH UTAH AIR. We hiked 4 miles (round trip) on the Hidden Canyon trail and I was not only awestruck by the beauty of the hike but I was blown away by the ability of the trail blazer one and two (Q and Marz). They tore up the trail faster than a Texas Tornado! (to quote Mama Junebug Jones) There were parts in the trail where I literally held my break and bit my tongue because it was soooooo narrow that there were chains drilled in the cliff and I could barely keep up to make sure those Trail Blazers were holding on to the chain..... (ahhh! needless to say - i have no pictures of those moments...... I was too busy holding on to the chain....)
I attempted a collage of the hike forever known as Hike #1.


After hike #1, we drove to a little creek (pronounced as "crick", if your a native), had a hearty lunch prepared picnic style by DH, then ventured off for some more pit toilet time ( oh joy!).
Off for hike # 2, it was along the little "crick" that carved out a beautiful canyon. It cracked me up that the boys never even realized we were in a canyon.. all they saw were GIANT rock slides and searched for the perfect skipping stone to throw in the "crick". :)


It was a beautiful day for all of us........ and for day one, we accomplished our goal...... they were wiped out ....... Ahhhhh, peace thru the red rocks of Zion, Red Canyon and Bryce Canyon and drive on to the cabin....

Stay tuned to hikes 4 and 5..... I'll be back :)
xo,
amt

1 comment:

Comments welcome!