Tuesday, September 28, 2010

this is for you......

this is for you.. the one who is dying to know details that I failed to mention about living as an american in the Middle East.
Sorry I did not leave details on my car accident. It was VERY, VERY minor.....I was not hurt and it's water under the bridge... It was a funny story though..... Like most European counties the Arabs are fans of the ROUND ABOUT..... there is literally a round-about every 2 -3 miles on non freeways. Ugh! I promise you I am a very safe driver - I am a defensive driver... I rarely get rattled in traffic..... it just does not bother me.... Driving in Oman disturbs me......IT's every man for himself... I had my license 3 days before my first accident. YES - i know a car accident within minutes of getting on the road - it' s embarrassing - but it was 100% not my fault and YES it was in a round-about. Here's the deal - I was exiting a round about in the proper lane and a "gentleman" who happened to work for the Kuwaiti Embassy was changing lanes and hit me from the rear. He was very nice person but insisted I was at fault (very common for an Arab, they are not often wrong... must save face). So I am a woman - an American woman - of course it is my fault. It is clear from the marks on the car that it was his fault it took the ROP (royal omani police) a very long time to admit - it was "my mistake"..... I could tell the young ROP man was struggling with how it could be my fault.... but in the end it was "my mistake" - I really can do nothing at this point - smile and wave - smile and wave. Ironically, the Kuwaiti man - he was very nice. In the end...... He invited us to dinner at his house - have big barbecue - make big party...... (huh?) I even got invited the Kuwait Embassy to do God knows what..... but trust me - I'm not going - to the embassy - I think matt wants to got the dinner party - I am not so sure about that?
How am I being treated for a non-Muslim? Great - so far... any Muslim just wants to know that one believes in god... The only way a muslim would be harsh or negative toward a Westerner - is if they were atheist. They absolutely do not get that...... That said... I have been "witnessed" to. It was during Ramadan and "worker" came to install something at the villa. He asked me if I liked to read .... since I had no internet, no phone, no car....... uhhhhhh what do you think I happened to have a pile of laying around..... yup - you guess it.... books!!! And I do love to read. so yes... I like to read... the man said.... would it be ok if brought you some literature.... to read. Confused... what kind of Literature..... it's about the Koran. Islam. Do you know about Islam? A little..... I replied. Then he went on and on for about a 1/2 hour about Cane and Able and Father Abraham and Jesus (yes Jesus) and how if I were to read the Koran and read the bible I would be able to find discrepancies within the Bible. I just smiled..... He was the kind of guy, I could tell off the bat, that I would not want to get in a debate with. (i am not quick on my toes and he was reciting scripture.....) I said well actually I am ROMAN catholic. (I'm not roman catholic) but I knew it would shut him up...... and it did. In the end, he respected me.. (I think) because at least, I ultimately believed in God. The funny thing is..... I really do believe in God.. but also believe that whether you are a Buddist, a Muslim, a Catholic, a Christian, or a whatever...... God created us all equal, he loves us all no matter what. And if you are a non judgmental person and you accept others for who they are then God looks favorably upon us. It is not for me judge another for what (s)he believes in. If you are a good honest person, I am happy to accept you into my heart.
so that said.... The Omani people are VERY accepting of Westerners, and actually curious about our life in America. When they ask me where I am from..... and I say the U.S. majority of them been there. East coast/ West coast and Gulf Coast are the most popular places for their visits. They are educated people and not extreme in their faith of Islam. They are traditional but not Extremist here. They almost all wear the robes - men have distashs, woman have abayas. I have a separate post on that later. They are human just like you and me. I find them quite hospitable but stand-offish. They will not approach you, you can approach them and once you do.... they bombard you with questions. Just today actually, an Omani woman, offered me some change for the parking meter... I am currently having a hard time figuring out how the coin system works here. I actually, had what I needed - I just did not know how to use it (lol). One other interesting difference about how thing "everyday" life is run. There is ZERO separation of religion and state. The country is run with religion being number one. Here in Oman, there is very little crime for two reasons: religion and the Sultan (the king). He is their hero. There is picture of him in EVERY store, business, office in Oman. All the streets are named after him somehow...... his birthday, the date he took office, his name, his home town, yada-yada-yada..... He is everywhere..... very highly admired by all.
Now what do Omani's think of Anna... that's a funny story..... ironically I think I have it fairly easy and actually different than most westerns here.... I am American but I come from Mexican decent.... meaning my foremothers and fathers are Mexican.... mestizo...... a mixed ethnicity..... I have indian(native american blood and Mexican blood). I am Latina..... Olive complexion, dark hair , dark eyes......
I confuse the heck out EVERYONE here (lol) The arabs look at me..... they wait a few minutes.... cock their heads... "Where are you from?" California - I reply - from the States.... OH....... a few minute pass... "no really where are you from?"....... Where are your parents from..... I totally know what they want to know when they ask me the first time... but since they are soooooo INDIRECT - I give them a taste of their own medicine. I'm from america.... my past generations are from Mexico.. OHHHHHH they say. ok -Your from Mexico......(well sort of - I think to myself) The boys go to an American school, but it is International.... Kids from all over the world attend. My boys have friends from Eygpt, UK, Norway, Kuwait, Canada, Peru, Oman, Holland, France, Panama .... and so on... The moms that pick their kids up from school - we gather.... we talk... we share our experiences (we are all in the same boat.... expats from another country trying to make it in the Middle East...) The moms - cock their heads.... "where are you from?" they ask - I smile.... I'm from California.... Oh ... they say - We love L.A. it's so beautiful there... have gone to such and such place before.... a few minutes pass... head cocks again..... "No really, where are you from?" I'm Mexican... Oh - I see. :)
I am at a souk..... and I am talking with the man running the place, negotiating a price..... He cocks his head.... "Where are you from?" The U.S. I say.... Majority of the workers are Indian from India...... "Oh" he says... We settle on price, I pay, I'm about to leave.. NO really ma'am, where are you from?" I'm Mexican....... OH.... I see.

just a few questions answered...........for you. If you have more questions - comment.... I'm happy to answer - sometimes I don't thing of mentioning certain details......tune in next time for my impressions of the different types of people here in Muscat. It a beautiful place. We are off this weekend to a private beach - I am looking forward to showing you the beautiful waters and coast of Muscat. I think you'll be delighted.
Halas-
Anna

4 comments:

  1. Shokran for all the information, Anna. So fascinating! (I think that's the right Arabic word for thank you - it's the only one I know.) No, falda is the same in Arabic and Spanish - I know that one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...well, I just got home from a trip into Houston on I-10. I hate I-10.... it couldn't be worse there. Met the kids and gave them their dog back...I've been puppysitting while they were in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for our appt!! Yes, especially when traveling abroad do I find the need to a)defend my country and b) explain where I'm "from"!! Sounds like all is good - at least entertaining!
    Huge hugs,
    Rebeca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the post Banana Slug. I told you that you would literally fit right in!!! LOL I am so glad the boys are on this adventure! I think you should so go to the BIG BBQ...LOL Have fun at the beach love ya lotS!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!