impressions.....
wow - it really is different here. for one it’s hot (lol) for two there are a BIG mix of people - obviously lots of omani’s, then next, lots of indians (from india) then many pakastani’s and sri lankians and then a variety of people from the middle east - most being from Eygpt, Kuwait and UAE. Most all of these are muslim, except the Indians are Hindu. As for westerns.... yes, we are mixed in but not in as large a percentage as the Indians or Pakastani. I was fully prepared to arrive and see EVERYONE covered up. And most of the muslims are but it’s a wide degree of variation. Most all Omani men where a white robe and a round cap (almost like a beret) They all have beards but they are very clean shaven. They keep their beards trim, short and very stylish with design. The omani women are very reserved, on a personal level, I have only come in contact with 3 at the grocery store. I approached them (I was dying to know when in the world the store kept the rice vinegar) anyhow, at first they seemed nervous that I asked them a question, but then once we started talking they were super sweet and started to tell me about other places to shop if I wanted asian food. Anyhow, I have come in contact with other omani women but very brief in the check out line or at the driver’s license department. They are more about getting their job done and then moving on the next customer. I am pretty sure it is because they speak very little english. I always greet them with a “Salem a lee kum” (Peace be with you) and they always reply......” A lee kum Salem” (and also with you) that gets the ball rolling a bit but very little, when it comes to the women.... Omani men are a lot more talkative. That part makes me a little sad..... I want to talk to women and ask them questions.... but they seems so shy. :( Anyhow back to the dress - all men wear the same thing..... women have more style to their dress, I think the men’s style comes through in the beard design. The women all wear black robes. Some women wear different color veils, some where the veils very set back off their hair line - few and very few do not were a veil at all. Then there are the very traditional women with the veils that have an opening only around their face - or some that have an opening only at the eyes - and of course they have the ones that are considered burkas.... where they are completely covered, only a mesh screen to see through. The burka ladies are very, very few - kind of like the ladies who are very few in wearing no veil at all. So back the robes..... the younger ladies they wear BLING on their veils! Rhinestones - cute cuffs, some fancy ribbon or flowers on the edge of the veils. It’s very so interesting to see the style come out in the robe and veil attire. There is a store in the mall that is called “Bling your veil” - I kid you not...... nothing but veils with flair.....
So you wonder how can I tell the difference between omani, pakastani, kuwaiti, UAE etc.... it’s in the Robe..... some robes have tassels - some have cuffs some have collars, some have buttons or zippers then their is the head gear.... some have the little beret hats that I mentioned, some have the turbans - if it’s turbans.... the cloth is varied, very different fabric from country to country - that’s how you can tell the difference....... I can't figure the women's region based on their dress... they are more of a mystery to me.
Ok - that enough about muslim dress....
What to say about cultural difference..... the muslims are very polite and will NOT make eye contact with you unless you make the first move. Such as saying a greeting - Salem a lee kum - or Marhaba or such n such...... You can get speaking the Omani and then they start asking you a ton of questions. The Indians - they are a whole other ball of wax. There is definite class lines between the indians, you don’t really see the class lines betwn the muslims. But anyhow the Indians range from a professional class to peon class. I say that with NO disrespect. It’s true the muslims are not fond of the Indians..... it’s almost as if they are their subservients. The indians, if you think about it come from a VERY highly populated country, and of course a very poor country. They are used to doing anything to make their survival happen. The professional indians, they dress nicely, so most Omanis treat them better but the poorer Indians, they don’t dress very nicely (mostly because they have very little). Then they hang out together.... almost as if in schools of fish..... they swarm to each other.. they migrate through the grocery store or the highway or the street - in little pack of people..... It’s crazy! If you get in their way - you might get swallowed up by their little pack... (seriously) you have to fight to get through them and fight to get out of their pack... It’s challenging at times. They really don’t have any regard for “rules” they make up their own..... They cut RIGHT in front of you - cut you off, if you are in their way.... in the grocery store lines..... or they just come up right next to you (if they decide not to cut you off) they stand about 1 inch from you. You have zero privacy, if you are trying to pay the cashier to grab some red onions or what ever it is you are trying to do. It’s insane the mentality they have, so different for ours in the U.S. but then again I have to remind myself, where they are coming from (their country’s conditions). So sufficed to say, I am growing a layer of strength or an exterior toughness that I never knew I had..... Aggressiveness.... what I have to do to survive. It’s good for me, I guess?
In all, I am happy to be experiencing all that I am, here. I have had a few challenges but nothing that has not made me grow as a person, for that I am grateful. I am taking in the culture, the architecture, the scenery, the souks, the people... lots to absorb, lots to learn lots to share. :)
Tesbah ala kheer,
(good night)
amt
Saturday, October 2, 2010
impressions....
Posted by
Anna
at
10:19 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



This is fascinating, Anna! A first hand look into a new culture. You are very observant and I'm glad you're sharing it all with us.
ReplyDeleteNo, please don't make another add-on for my sampler. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet, but I'm thinking of making a mini sampler with your piece and attaching it in front of the bigger one, somehow. It's all kind of fuzzy in my head and I hope it comes clear one day soon!
I love reading about this and YOU! and the journey! Very COOL!!! Love Ya lottso
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing more about your new experiences. I really enjoy reading and learning more about Oman. Say hello to the family!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteSharon