Wednesday, November 3, 2010

it's a wrap

A couple of cheeky little monkeys turned a year older these past 2 months... and in my best MUMMY form, we settled on a joint celebration involving my favorite holiday.......(3 birds one stone) Being as the cheeky monkeys are two boys who love all things creepy and slimy - they convinced me we could have a mummy party.... so off the "net" I flew..... I had to figure out how in the dickens I was going to pull off a halloween themed party in the middle east where no such holiday is heard of ?????

I was not as hard as I thought.... thank you martha stewart!!! Again, I did mentioned MUMMY and Middle East..... (bahhhh - who needs halloween anyways?) I created digital invites (going against my love of handmade papyrus invites.....) but I had NO supplies, as they were off floating their way toward us somewhere in the Indian ocean...... and there is no such thing as Michael's here.... so digital wins the show....
I focused on the menu - spider sandwiches - "finger" food (literally), eyeballs (yuck), mummy cookies, and a mummy cake.... How in the world was I going to have a MUMMY cake made? Thank goodness for european expat-entrepreneurs - A finnish woman who loves baking - opened le Pasterrie (30 years ago) would custom make any cake to your liking..... She told me - this was a first in her 30 years in Muscat.
squint hard..... there is a 2 foot mummy masterpiece in the center of that table..... and what I had to do to get him to the party on time..... (typical Middle Eastern drama - the cake was stuck in Traffic when I was to be home making spider sandwiches).

The party begins with an Egyptian goddess.... (ok - I have never referred to myself as a goddess before - but what the heck - I am in costume)
about 30 rambunctious 8 - 4 year olds - it was absolute mayhem !!!
I kid you not....
Thank goodness for the Goddess - she planned ahead. There were activities ....
our version of musical chairs - "Walk like an Eygptian..."
a mummy wrap - toilet paper to the rescue....
A treasure hunt through our compound.... the search for the MUMMY....
Oh - did I mention that 2 days before the party...... our boat shipment arrived!!! Yah! it cleared customs in record time..... (of course it did.....we had a party that weekend) SO Goddess went into robo-form (aka - NO sleep for the weary...) I unpacked what I could and just rolled with the punches - what could I do? We made a tomb for the mummy and stuffed him with the paper packing....


Alas - the party was coming to close - stuff the rascals with some more sugar..... and set them free to their mummies and daddies..... (lock the doors and do NOT mention the word b-day party for at least another 9 months.....)

the party really was a big success and the kids managed to have fun but I think Mummy and Daddy are ready for their long slumbers......

here's to all the cool mummies out there, that can make due with what you are dealt ;)
xo , amt

6 comments:

  1. Jackie Rodriguez11/3/10, 9:16 AM

    THAT is great Anna!!! Wow looks like it was a lot of fun! Congrats Sigma !

    Love
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the Egyptian goddess - looks like you did a marvelous job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me very happy! You are AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ARE amazing! I expect you will be revered in some way there .... soon. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quinton and Marcel's Mommy/Goddess is amazing!! What luck boys! Love, Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your olive skin translates well-- you ARE an Egyptian goddess! What an incredible party! You may get calls for planning future events.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!