Saturday, October 23, 2010

fresh mountain air


We had a recent escape to the mountains, Jebel al Akhdar, it was lovely to leave behind hot, humid temps that October is still bringing us and get some refreshing almost cool breezes. I was REALLY hoping for my first camel sighting, during this trip but only ran into a few donkeys instead. :) better luck next time (aye)

We all enjoyed some new terrain to trek about in. As well as some SHADE!!!! This mountainous area has a lot of trees, pomegranate being one if it's most precious commodities.
We hiked out to an old abandoned village. WOW!

then we followed this rock........
to another abandoned village!

happy dance!
Nathalie - this reminded me of you.... if it was not locked shut, I would have swipped it for you (shhhh) and old european lock - locking absolutely nothing, as the old wood has rotted away.
check out these mountain goats....
I zoomed into these mountains....(below) the goats were being herded by local towns people. I'm not allowed to take their pictures.
the towns people live in a near by modern town now... but they come to this village and herd their cattle and plant crops. Below is some terraced agriculture. Mostly, pomegranate trees, but other fruits as well.
I love the splash of colour, surely - an artsy mama lived here.
after trying to check out one of the insides of the houses.... two of the kids were stung by wasps and DH was attacked by a mob of them (he got stung 5 times - opps). So, we pretty much called it a successful trip and headed back down the hill.....
the clouds were making majestic scenes.
It was a beautiful day spent away from the city, without hustle and bustle of traffic or hot, humid weather. A day well spent breathing fresh mountain air. I do suppose we will be frequenting these mountains.

xo,
amt



1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an amazing adventure for your family! Sounds like you are having a great time :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!