I really have not been able to bring myself to post anything on the blog as I have been preoccupied about IKE and the damage he left behind in the gulf coastal region of SE Texas. So I decided I should write about it...
I lived there (with my family) for 10 years and by the time I left I thought of it as my home. When we moved back to Cali - I truly did leave behind part of my heart. I have several VERY VERY dear friends that live in the path of destruction that IKE left behind. Thank goodness they are all fine and actually so are their homes. Yet from what I understand, in our hometown of Kingwood, about every 3rd or 4th house was affected. It is a very wooded area and when a stiff wind blows thru a branch or tree is bound to break.
My friend, Travis, stayed up all night to hear and watch the storm. He said the eeriest part was the "eye" passing over them. He said it was about 2 hours of silence and calm. Can you imagine 2 HOURS??? At the time the eye passed over, minimal damage was done. IT was the second half of the storm that did all the damage, in Kingwood.
As of today, they still do not have power and virtually everything is shut down. Everyone is now struggling to find food/water and/or gas. It really is a sad situation. Please pray for all those affected by IKE, especially those who are now "homeless".
Sincerely,
Anna
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Ike
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Anna - I am so sorry that some of your friends have been affected by Ike. It was a terrible storm, and it devastated my hometown of Galveston...I have been deep in the thick of this for the past 10 days, from tracking the storm with my mom, to seeing it hit Galveston square-on and ruining the first level of their house and totaling their two cars. Luckily, our whole family is safe, but it will be a massive effort to get them, and Galveston as a whole, back to some semblance of normalcy...I've been writing about it all on my blog for the past week, but tomorrow I am planning to take a much needed "Ike Break"
ReplyDeleteIKE IS OVER NOW and I have been doing the "power dance" for approximatley 3 days now! There were many blessings that occured through that storm, oddly enough. Our trees thinned out, I partied almost every night, spent way too much family time together, eat a lot of junk food, discovered what it is like to have a window unit, had a "panting" dog for 5 days before getting the window unit, saved on electricity, and last but not least...now I know why people in the olden days had so many darn kids...you and the hubby have to provide some sort of "entertainment" with out electricity! Haaaa.....
ReplyDeleteAmanda