Parenting is a constant struggle. It's a struggle when you are new to it or even if you are an old pro... (NOT ME!) Once I think I have got one stage (sorta) under control they go and hit another stage.... and throw me for a loop. Funny thing is my oldest is only 6!! they have not even reached puberty yet!! arrgh!
Well my story as a parent is one I don't really talk about too much, on the blog.... My old son has some learning disabilities and truly was not able to talk much until about 4 1/2. We've been to plenty of docs and specialist trying to figure out the "label" but really have not been able to pin point one for him. One doc says autism - one says apraxia, one says this - one says that. To me I don't really need a label - just the reassurance that as a parent I'm doing everything possible to help him along his way....... and lots and lots of prayer.........
I do know that when it is all said and done. He will be something truly magnificent due to all his strong will and boundless determination to "catch" up to his peers. Q is an amazing child , I forget sometimes to thank my lucky stars that he is soooooo willing to go to speech therapy and go occupational therapy and physical therapy..swimming.. task..... Not many parents have it as easy as I due when it comes to kids with special needs. Q is very cooperative when it comes to one on one learning and he has come a long, LONG way since he was 2 1/2 (when we started therapies). With lots of help and support from family, friends, therapist and teachers alike....... we will have an "incredible" success story to tell when it is all said and done :) At our current point in time it's a "really great" success story so far......
a couple of posts back - i posted what I've been reading for the past month (over and over and over....) It's a great book called "how to talk to your kids so they will listen and how to listen so they will talk......" {recommended by some really great parents we know - that happened to have just gave birth to our second nephew}........ anyhow this book does not address issues for children with special needs - it's just a plain old communication book. After reading it...... I would venture to say that just about anyone could benefit to read this book and gain better communication skills in the process. Although the "examples" might seem kinda ridiculous if you don't have any kids..... :)
My friend Lawren asked me to share the finer points of the book......well it's the 5 cent version (literally) .... straight plagiarism from the chapter recaps.....i did find a great deal at amazon... when I bought the book "used" for 1 cent and paid 3.99 shipping..... so it was $4.00. Thrift books (green earth company out of portland) anyhow I was soooo pleased to make this because it has helped me capture the major points of the book and I plan to print it off and hang it in every room of our home..... (ok maybe not every room.. )
Lawren - I made the image in pse.....i'm trying hard to learn the program.. muddling thru.... gotta love "control key" + "z".... (undo shortcut) I'm making lots of mistakes....... i used some cool scrapbook paper for the background.
anyhow, good luck.....
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
This is for you Lawren......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



hey girl -- you are the BEST for summarizing the book for me! hee hee! I have printed it out and I'm studying it TONIGHT!
ReplyDeleteWill you keep us posted on Q's progress? I'm anxious to hear more about what the docs are saying, and if there is ANYTHING I can do to help please let me know.
hugs!
I would love to read that book!!
ReplyDeleteMiss ya and look forward to seeing you!! Love, Your Bro L
You are so special! This is why I love you...you are so honest about Q and the rest of your family. As you and I both know, parenting is extremly difficult as is, and when you throw in a little "extra bonus" to the mix, it makes it stressful at times. But, I always remind myself that the Good Lord will NEVER give us more than we can't handle. I am so proud of Q's accomplishments, I just wish I was there to see more of it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the notes, I printed them off. Plan to take it to therapy with all of us next week!
Hugs,
Amanda