Wednesday, October 6, 2010

beachy keen

seriously.... what do you think of this little get-a-way?

It's about 25-30 minutes from Villa Tremblay...... (depending on traffic :) It is out of a small sleepy fishing* village called Qantab. *I have not talked much about fish.... because I personally am not a fan of it...... but..... if one who might happen to be a fan of fish .... were to get stranded in Muscat..... it is safe to assume they would be a very happy camper. Lots of fish - here..... and quite a few fish souks.... yes - open aired fish markets..... like Pikes Peak Fish Market in Seattle but on an Omani standard of scale. I have stayed clear of all fish souks..... just an FYI..... I can hardly stand the smell in those HyperMarts....
I digress, sorry, you take a drive out to Qantab, south of Muscat, you hire a fisherman and hope to goodness someone can help translate, they load up their boats - 5 minute motor boat drive...... voila..... your own private paradise. You swim, snorkel, enjoy beautiful scenery, fantastic ocean tempatures (in the mid 20 degrees Celsius range)

Unless you happen upon a jellyfish.......

or an eel.... or sting ray..... (yup - we have those here....)

then you stick to the shell collecting and sand castles.....

We went with a big group (someone else organized it), Antonio from Venezuela, and our friend (who invited us) affectionally dubbed the beach name Omani playa de Antonio.

The men go off start the fires... bbq.... and talk guy talk..... the kids play in the sand and fill up on junk food, so that they are not actually hungry when the actual food is prepared.....
then the boat comes back..... for the pick-up....
we must return to real life after all. (wahhh) catch some scenery on the ride back......

and the day draws an end..... back to the sleepy town.....Qantab.... call to prayer goes off...... it's very peaceful.... very serene... a perfect end to perfect day..... I could go for more of this living :)

xo,
amt

1 comment:

  1. keep it coming. I'm totally enjoying reading your posts. I feel like I am experiencing it all with you. Love ya!!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome!